Tuesday, April 4, 2017

2017 Liz Conrad Awardee Jason Bradley Rollins wins Mentorship with Loraine Joyner



2017 Liz Conrad Awardee Jason Bradley Rollins wins Mentorship with Loraine Joyner


Southern Breeze Region Liz Conrad Award is a scholarship awarded annually to one budding illustrator in the children's book field.  It includes tuition to the annual conference and to Illustrators' Day or the Illustrators' Intensive, depending on the conference that year. This year, a mentorship was added to the award.  This scholarship is open to Southern Breeze SCBWI members only and would be an impressive honor to add to one's resume.
Loraine Joyner, Peachtree Publishers Art Director and long-time advocate for our region, judged the submissions.  Applicants were asked to submit representative work and a brief biography and information sharing why they are interested in pursuing a career in the children’s book industry.  After much deliberation over many submissions, Loraine chose Jason Bradley Rollins illustration.

 

Jason’s animated host of characters reflects the real-world antics of animals.  He had this to share:
“….my love for animals pushed me towards the veterinary field and I attended college for my Associate in Science and acquired my registration and license as a veterinary technician. After twenty years of my writing and drawing being on the back burner while wrestling dogs and cats, I am ready for a change. I have recently joined SCBWI in hopes of improving my skills and possibly achieving my dream of sharing my stories and seeing my characters in print.”
We hope he enjoyed this year’s Illustrator’s Day and Springmingle.  We know you will produce great work under the mentorship program.  



Take a look at some of the other submissions:




Southern Breeze has so much talent! Many thanks to everyone who submitted work for the award.  
We look forward to seeing your work next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment