Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Book Journey: Bubble Gum & Tracey M. Cox

BOOK JOURNEY:
Tracey M. Cox
Childhood Memories


I get asked by a lot of people, "Where do you get your ideas?"  I tell them, "EVERYWHERE!"

Sometimes I will be inspired by a picture I see or a phrase I overhear. Sometimes I will notice something as I pass by. Sometimes, my childhood experiences come into play.

For Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum in a Dish, I recalled a game my friends and I use to play to figure out who would be it for our next game. We would all stick our feet into a circle, one person would point at each foot as they said:

Bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish. How many pieces do you wish?

This phrase stuck in my head one day. I thought it would make a cute sing-songy picture book about colors and counting. So I began laying out the familiar phrase I grew up with and added an extra line to make it a little more interactive. As the number of bubble gum increases, so does the size of the bubble each child blows.

I encourage each of you to think back to your own childhood. What did you do? What games did you play? You never know when inspiration may strike by using your own memories.

ABOUT TRACEY M. COX:

Tracey M. Cox lives in South Georgia where she writes and illustrates for children. Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum in a Dish is her 10th picture book as an author, but it is her debut as an illustrator.

FIND TRACEY:



No comments:

Post a Comment