Friday, December 8, 2017

How I Got My Agent (Pssst! It's Probably Got Something To Do With a Conference!)

So I grabbed my folder and stuffed it into my bag without even giving it a look because of course, I was running late.

There really is no excuse to run late when the conference is practically in your backyard, but that seems to be what I do. That, and spending the rest of the day playing "catch-up" with conference business, people to see, and places where I'm supposed to be. And the next place I was supposed to be was the cocktail party.

I would not be late for that event! There were too many people I wanted to see, including Karen Grencik, an agent from Red Fox Literary. I'd met Karen the summer before at a week-long writer's retreat. She'd given a workshop which I thoroughly enjoyed, but she was also one of the professionals I signed up with for a manuscript critique.

And oh my manuscript critique, it was terrific! Not I-want-to-represent-you right-this-minute terrific; more like here's-what's-not-quite-working-in-this-picture-book terrific. Karen gave me concrete direction into the problems, but she was kind and professional. I'm not gonna lie. I sort of had an agent crush on Karen Grencik.

So I fetched an adult beverage for us both and we reconnected at the conference Friday night party. I'm not sure if Karen remembered me specifically but she was delightful and charming and I wasn't too stalkerish and eventually, everyone left and we cleaned up, and as I sat there waiting for my ride, I reached into my bag and opened my folder to see what I was going to be late for the next day. And that's when I saw the big envelope that had my manuscript critique.

For crying out loud, I'd completely forgotten that I'd signed up for a "written only" critique! I pulled out the manuscript and saw that it was Karen Grencik's name on the notes--wheee! And then I began to read the notes; she appeared to like this middle grade story I'd penned. When I got to the end, she'd included another note:

"I'd love to see this manuscript if you're unagented. Send it to..."

We'd never discussed manuscripts earlier, and clearly, she hadn't made the connection between me and the name on the manuscript, but no matter! As I held that critique in my hot little hands, my heart pounded a mile a minute!

I didn't have another chance to speak to Karen during the rest of the conference, but first thing on Monday morning, I emailed her the full manuscript. Within a couple of hours, she responded that she'd received it and couldn't wait to read it. Within a couple of days, she responded again, saying she was halfway through and loving the story! By the next week, she'd offered to represent me.

Because I attended an SCBWI conference where Karen Grencik was on the faculty, I not only got my agent, I got my agent crush.

Cathy Hall, mic drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment