Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Spring to Success with SpringMingle'19 and VOLUNTEERING (AND A WHALE!)


Valerie Nelan is the Southern Breeze Volunteer Coordinator and she wrote up something special and um...whale-y for you. So here's Valerie:

Okay, there’s no whale. But like any good writer, I went with the first thing that came to mind and decided to see where it went.

Wait! I got it! If you volunteer at the SCBWI Spring Mingle, you’ll have a WHALE OF A TIME!!

No? It was a terrible joke? Okay, you’re right. It was pitiful. And painful. So let’s move on.

One of the best ways to get involved in SCBWI is to volunteer. Writing can be such a solitary pursuit, and by volunteering, you’re basically forced into meeting people. And here’s the thing: the writers and artists you’ll meet at Spring Mingle are bound to be among the best you’ve ever laid eyes on.

I knew absolutely no one my first Spring Mingle, and even though I can chat up just about anyone (hello, outgoing personality!), it was hard at first. Thankfully, by the end of that Spring Mingle, I’d met a whole bunch of people and was invited to be in a local critique group. By the time the next conference came around, I was ready to volunteer, and it was an incredible experience. I met all the conference organizers, and even though that first year my contributions were small, I felt like I’d really made a difference. Even better: I made friends and critique partners who have made me a better writer.

So, are you ready to make a difference? We need volunteers! Roles for our volunteers include working the registration desk, helping with book sales, helping with food (who doesn’t love food?), timing the one-on-one meetings, and more.

Email me, Valerie Nelan, at vmnelan@gmail.com with your interest. You’ll get my undying love and affection, plus a snazzy little bio in the conference hand-outs! Ready? Go!

(I guarantee you and all the volunteers are going to get along swimmingly--and yeah, Valerie Nelan's going to get me back for that one--but first you have to register for SpringMingle'19. So CLICK HERE AND REGISTER TODAY!)

No comments:

Post a Comment